Monday, April 15, 2013

That Takes The Cake show entries


Austin Cake Show

my entries:


"Peacock"
I took first in the Adult Intermediate Wedding Tiered category.
Close up on the Oriental string work

Spheres were dipped in royal icing and then I piped different designs on each one.
Ruffles and petals were sprayed with a shimmer and edged in gold.

Gold was hand painted on all the piped decorations and dragees attached.

This was my 4th year entering the show but my 1st First Place in the wedding category which is coveted. Next year I will be entering the Adult Advanced category.
I entered two buttercream cakes this year. There were hardly any entries in this category. I don't know why because I love working in buttercream.
"Koi"
The top design was taken from a 1920's greeting card that I stylized and changed the colors to. Small oriental fish decorated the sides of the cake. Hence the name of the cake.


"Efflorescent"
The darker blue/green around the edges was airbrushed onto my light green cake before the leaves, roses, and mums were added.
The leaves were piped with color striped pasty bags to give them a two toned effect.
My cakes took first and second in the Adult Intermediate Buttercream Only category.

My family at the cake show.





Like what you see? Visit my webpage to view the cake gallery and/or order cakes for your next event.

http://cakesbycassandra.weebly.com/ 


3 comments:

Jones said...

Congratulations on your awards. The peacock cake is truly a work of art.

Michelle said...

Congrats! You are so talented! I love all of your cakes - wow!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad you still find time to create!

Also, that has got to be your mom :)

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

These are so awesome! I love all three, but really REALLY love the peacock one! Congrats!