Tuesday, June 20, 2006



This morning I did something that I haven’t done in quite sometime…
I watched the sun rise.

I’m not really sure why I did it. I don’t really know if I even expected it. And I’m still not sure why I was awake. But at approximately 7:25am Mountain Standard Time, I took a class of “homestyle” orange juice, my fuzzy blue slippers, and an oversized BYU hoodie, and I stood outside on my three-step stone stoop in front of my apartment. I just stood there. I don’t know why. I wasn’t looking at anything in particular. I just sipped my orange juice and I stood there watching nothing and everything at the same time.

Then it happened…
the sun peeped over Y Mountain just a little.

The seemingly sudden moment of light caught my attention and for a full three minutes between 7:35 and 7:38 I watched. I watched as the sliver of light turned gradually into a shining ball of glorious radiance. I saw it actually move up from behind the mountain or the mountain moved down to expose the light, which way I’m not sure, but I saw and felt the movement. And as the glory of the sun revealed itself, or was revealed, I found myself beginning to grin. It happened as slowly and as progressively as the sun appeared…bigger and wider and broader until I felt the pinch in my cheeks; I continued to stare. By 7:40 the sun was so bright that I could no longer stare directly at it, and the cool morning air was beginning to dissipate as I felt the warmth seeping through my pajama pants. My orange juice nearly gone, my body warmed in the glow of the morning light, and a strange sense of happiness and wellbeing having filled my mind, I turned and walked back into my apartment.

Five minutes…it only took five minutes…
and life looked happy again.

3 comments:

Travis Butterfield said...

I'm really glad to see you blogging again. You have a beautiful soul, and I like experiencing it through your words.

It's Not a Tuba said...

I don't know if I told you about it, but I went out, a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday morning, with the purpose of watching the sun rise. I checked online to see when it would happen, and it said something like 6 or 6:30, with "civil twilight" (whatever that means) starting an hour (or something) before that.

Needless to say, the sun doesn't actually come over the mountain until, well, 7:35 or so. I don't know if I was really too disappointed, since I think the thing that I really like about the sunrise is the gradual change from dark to light, from cool to warm. But there was something like disappointment in the fact that I didn't feel like waiting for the actual appearance of the sun.

I'm happy, though, that you got to experience the part of the sunrise that means the most to your senses. :)

"The Landlord" said...

THanks so much for sharing that!
B
:)