Monday, January 25, 2010

I Need Your Ideas!!!

If you could pick any theme for your birthday, anniversary, or a holiday cake...what would it be?

I'm contemplating entering the annual That Takes the Cake extravaganza here in Austin this year. It's a nation-wide competition so my chances of placing are slim, but I think it would be fun. It's sort of like those food network cake challenges. The theme this year is "2010 Cake Odyssey" including anything in the science-fiction or fantasy genre. For 25 dollars I can enter a "2010 Cake Odyssey" themed cake, unfortunately, this is open to everyone so there will be lots of professionals entering.

However, this year I still qualify to enter in the Adult Beginners category (though I've seen pictures from last year and the competition is stiff). For 20 dollars I can enter any themed cake I want in the adult beginners category. But I need ideas! I thought I would elicit your help. Please list any ideas in the comments section. Your wildest thoughts or even a simpler design. Any idea. Just think what you'd like to have at your celebration. You may also suggest a science fiction theme for the Cake Odyssey though I think I should probably stick with the beginners. :)

Thank you for your help!

p.s. On a cake related note. Here is a picture of a dinosaur cake I did for a birthday party. It look's like a cross between a gecko and a dragon with alligator legs. Oh well. First shaped cake I've ever done. Plus it was for a 5 year old.
Enjoy.


Additional pictures available for your viewing pleasure at http://www.wix.com/BlueAdagio/Cakes-by-Cassandra






or on the original cake website http://cakesbycassandra.weebly.com

11 comments:

Rebecca J said...

This probably doesn't help, but my favorite birthday ever was a Sound of Music party. So, maybe some Alps with the Von Trapp family walking across them? :)

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh that is an awesome birthday cake!

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

That's still awesome looking - kind of looks like skink (no, not skunk, a shingleback skink - we have some at the zoo here.)
I like the sound of music theme - that's a favorite of mine...how about ...
theme based on the children's game operation (you know with all those little parts) - or any other children's game that might be easier.

The Hungry Homemaker said...

Star Wars!

Going bananas said...

I think it would be fun to have a cake shaped like a mask (the kind you would wear to a fancy ball or Mardi Gras) or you could show Texas pride and make a cowboy boot.

Lilit said...

Love your talent and the amazing cake... Love the details, color combination and how lively it is... It seems like it will walk right away! Good job. I am NOT shocked at all girl. I know your amazing art skills!
I would LOVE to have for David's 2d birthday a cake from his favorite Disney show Special Agent OSO. So thats my suggestion... doesn't have to be that exact show, but something similar that people would recognize and say "wow it looks just like on TV!!" ya know what I mean?!
You totally should enter competitions like that! I watch the cake challenge when my kiddos let me and it's awesome... Wouldn't be surprised to see you there sometime!
love and miss you girl!

Jana said...

That is freaking awesome, Cass! I love it, I LOVE IT!

Jonathan said...

Your brother agrees about the cake shows :)

Jonathan said...

no doubt if you want to do it you could.

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

Anything you come up with will be great. I love elephants and have never had a giant elephant cake. I think that would be amazing!!!

Jared, Miranda and Max said...

I think you should go retro with a captain Kurk style star ship :) Also love love the lizard/dragon cake!