Thursday, August 30, 2007


BFA Senior Art Show
August 11, 2007August 30, 2007

I promised pictures for those of you that were not able to make it to my art show (which comes down after tomorrow) so here they are. I tried to include a little information about each piece, and I copied the artist statement (the paragraphs in italics) from the show so that you won't feel like you missed a thing. And if you did get to see the show - then I'm ever so happy! - and now you get to reminisce.
Enjoy the pictures.
Let me know what you think.
Leave comments.
I'm truly interested.




"LIVING WATER"


"This show, created around the Old Testament scripture Isaiah 44:3, deals with the symbolic nature of water and the universal acknowledgment that water denotes life. Initially, I struggled with the idea that all my work might be viewed as religious art until I came to the realization that my art could never be anything other than my deepest desires, interests, and beliefs.


The lyrics from a BYU Men’s Chorus song, “I will pour water upon him that is thirsty,” echoed in my head. I had been repeating these words to myself for nearly two years. “I will pour floods upon the dry ground.” They had inspired me. I knew I would not be able to ignore them for long.

“I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring.”

GrowthLifeRevelation…and Blessings are themes that fascinate me and motivate me to create.

I focused first on life; captivated with egg shapes which indicate new life. These shapes evolved, and from these pieces I began to investigate the nourishment of this new life. This is when I began to explore the symbolism that water held for me. I created vessels to hold water, pour water, and catch water. These vessels soon developed into wall pieces and eventually into fountains that would actually carry water.


These wall hangings symbolize, in my mind, a higher power: a loving Father, a devoted Brother, a Comforter…that carry drops of love, lessons, and direction to the young life – seedlings yearning to learn and grow and develop. My hope is, however, that no matter your religious background or beliefs that the basic idea that water brings nourishment and encourages life can be understood. From that point, hopefully you can move towards a more personal insight into the things in your own life that nourish your soul…

A journey which I have started and now propose to you."


'Blessings' / Wall Fountain (7x9 feet)
Ceramic Wall Pieces - Raku
Ceramic Water Bowls - Cone 6 glazes, Glass and Beads
Wood - Stucco - Water pump drip system
-For Sale-

Top view (bowl 1)
Side View (bowl 1)
Top View (bowl 2)
Side View (bowl 2)
Top View (bowl 3)
Side View (bowl 3)



'Water Pot' / Ceramic - Raku
-SOLD-


'Water Pot, variation 4' / Ceramic - Raku
-SOLD-

'Water Pot, variation 3' / Ceramic - Raku
-For Sale-


'Flora – water bowl, variation 8' and
'Water Pot, variation 5' / Ceramic - Raku
-For Sale-


'Flora – water bowl, variation 2' / Ceramic - Cone 6 glazes
-SOLD-


'Flora – water bowl, variation 3' / Ceramic - Cone 6 glazes
-SOLD-


'Flora – water bowl, variation 4' / Ceramic - Cone 6 glazes
-SOLD-



“For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring:” - Isaiah 44:3

5 comments:

Shaun R. said...

I really love the water theme. After being a Sunday school teacher this year, I too was impressed with the symbolism behind water. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm so glad I'm still on your email list.

Travis Butterfield said...

Cassandra. I am so proud of you. You are such a choice woman. Absolutely amazing. I can't even tell you how much I wish I could have gone to see your show. Thanks for posting the pictures. It is phenomenal. You are so talented!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting the pictures- I really wanted to be there. The water theme is so beautiful and such a good reflection of you, I think. Your pieces are amazing. I never really got to see any of your ceramic work while I was in Provo, so I had no idea how amazingly talented you are. I feel like a proud mama!

BlueAdagio said...

You guys are wonderful! :)
I've gotten quite a few emails about the pictures as well and everyone is so sweet. You are wonderful people as well and I want to thank everyone for their warm support and best wishes.

I love you all!!!
~CK

Anonymous said...

I really like how the glazing turned out. It lookes like the water system looked really cool. I'm sad I didn't get to see it in all it's glory. I wonder why the studio didn't keep it pluged in. It looked like it was working great when I pluged it in for them.

Way to go Cassandra! Congratulations!