Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Asian Food!

I love everything Asian. From Asian food to Asian art to Asian babies. I want it all! :) Somewhat to my luck I married a man, who though he is an extremely picky eater, loves Asian cuisine. (Even if most of the time it's American Asian buffet style food.)

It's not uncommon to find us at the Asian market buying something creative or trying a new dish out. We often eat with chopsticks. We have different sauces and mixes in our cupboards. We had an Asian theme birthday party for my husband. And we tend to celebrate monthly anniversaries or date nights with some sort of Asian dish.

Along with the food we also often have fortune cookies. If memory serves me right, fortune cookies are not even Asian but that does not stop me keeping a stock of them in the kitchen. I have always had a delightful fascination with fortune cookies. I used to keep funny or thought provoking fortunes in my wallet...until my wallet disappeared. For our 6 month anniversary when we were dating my husband and I tried to make fortune cookies. They never really hardened. It was like eating a stiff thin pancake. It was actually pretty good. But it lacked the crunch you would expect when you break it apart to reveal your fortune.

Now as delicious as the cookie may be...it's the fortune that is coveted. This is why they exist. I have had many moments when a fortune just seemed too good to be true and others where I laughed my head off at the ridiculousness of the whole thing. And then many more moments when the fortune just doesn't quite fit...but it's like a drug, those good fortunes. I keep searching them out for that one perfect moment. Got to have my fix.

Well, this weekend I surprised Monte with his favorite dish from a take out place for date night. It came, of course, with two fortune cookies. After the meal we began to clean up. I grabbed a cookie and read my fortune to him. It was lackluster at best. Then Monte reached for the other cookie. He stood there in front of me for a moment reading his fortune silently, and then he smiled. He looked at me and grinned even bigger. "Wow, this one is right on." He then handed me the fortune and I read the message:




And then rest is really too sappy to even tell you about. :)

2 comments:

M said...

Ha Ha! I love it! :)

Jana said...

Thanks for the post, it made me smile!