Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Seaworld
So, the last thing that I'll mention this posting go around it our trip to Seaworld down in San Antonio. Monte and I went to Seaworld during our first week here in Texas as part of our honeymoon. I didn't bring my camera then and we didn't find out till the park was closing that they let you feed dolphins. So, seeing as how our passes were good for two days, we planned to head back some time just to feed the dolphins. :)

Well, the end of the year was approaching and our tickets were about the expire with the new year so we headed to San Antonio the weekend before Christmas to go see the dolphins. It was our 6 month anniversary too so it seemed only to perfect to use the tickets then.

When we arrived at Seaworld it was fun to see the changes they had made from their summer decor to their winter wonderland. It was pretty hot that day (even though it was December) but they had covered the ground with a white fleece and put up a big Christmas tree. They also had bubble machines near the entrance so that when you were in line starring into the park it looked like it magically snowing inside. It was pretty cool.

Our first stop, of course, was the dolphin pool.
Dolphins feel exactly like you would expect them to feel. For some reason that surprised me. We spent a really long time at the dolphin pool. I just couldn't get enough of them.
My favorite dolphin was "Chubby". He was so much bigger than all the rest. I finally got a picture of him when the trainers came out with their buckets of fish and all the dolphins came rushing over and began chirping and bobbing out of the water to get a much bigger meal than we were allowed to feed them. Check Chubby out. He has like three double chins. Oh I wanted to take him home with me sooo bad.
Finally I pulled myself away from the dolphins and Monte and I went to look at the other attractions.We spent time in the aquarium. I have always liked fish. And then we sat down and watched the penguins do funny things for awhile. And the puffins. I didn't know that puffins could be so humorous. Birds don't usually interested me...but when they swim they become so much cooler.
We tried to take a picture in front of the aquarium wreath but with the flash on you can not see the fish...and with the flash off you can not see us. I have included the 'flash on' picture here...you can see some of the coral behind us but the fish and manta rays and sharks didn't show up at all.
After all of that, we managed to catch the last Shamu showing of the day. We had watched the Shamu show twice on our previous visit, but this show was Christmas themed so it was a bit different.
All the tricks were done to live Christmas music. It was quite entertaining. Only downfall was that because we were a little late showing up for the performance...the only seats left open were in the splash zone. We sat in the splash zone during the summer and ended up a little damp. We sat in the splash zone during this trip and ended up completely soaked. You can't really tell in this picture cause I threw my jacket over our heads to protect us and the camera, but our pants are completely soaked through. In the summer I had on a bathing suit...in the winter...I rode home in wet underwear.

5 comments:

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

I'm sure it wasnt' funny riding home in wet udnerwear, but it made me chuckle.

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

That looks like so much fun. If I ever come to visit you in Texas, we have to go there again! Great pictures.

Jana said...

That does look like so much fun. Maybe Jason and I can move to Texas, and you and I can open up a cake shop. Yeah!

Jana said...

That does look like so much fun. Maybe Jason and I can move to Texas, and you and I can open up a cake shop. Yeah!

Lisa (Espanish for "Lisa") said...

I love Sea World! My girls were chanting "Shamu!Shamu!" for weeks after! I'm glad you had so much fun. And oh, how good does warm weather sound! We're looking at TX and GA for schools, so it won't be too much longer!