Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Some things I forgot:
While cleaning out some old forgotten school notebooks from my sophmore year, I came across a couple pages of quotes. Apparently I used to write down quotes I liked quite often (though I had forgotten that I had ever done this). Here is a particular quote that seems relevant to my life as I'm sure to many others. My notation say it's from a movie called "Shadow Lands" (which I don't remember watching) by C.S. Lewis:

"Now I have no answers...but this I know,"
"I was given the choice twice in life: As a boy I chose safety; as a man I chose suffering..."
"pain is part of the happiness,
...that is the deal."

I sort of wish I could remember the movie or more of the context from which this quote was taken, but I do love the feeling I still receive from it. It seems to me to be about a choice...chooseing between those things which are safe and easy and those which may seem more difficult and even be more painful yet may and can give us, in the end, the fullest reward of true happiness.

4 comments:

Caroline Tung Richmond said...

Shadowlands is a movie about C.S. Lewis and a love affair he has with one of his American fans. She later becomes terminally ill and passes away. (I think.) I never watched it, but I have a fainy memory that you watched it and told me about it! Haha.

BlueAdagio said...

Now I know why I have friends...

to remind me of what I've done in my life. :) haha

Travis Butterfield said...

I've seen it many times. It's a great movie. You should rent it and watch it again. After all, it stars Anthony Hopkins - what better motive to see a movie can there be?

It's Not a Tuba said...

So, that's funny. I don't remember ever having read this post or its comments before. Strange. I guess I'm just not as observant as I think sometimes. Anyways, that's an interesting way to look at it. That's all.