Friday, October 26, 2007

A Perfect Moment

So, I want to tell you about a little experience I had last night. And to preface this story I would like to say that these circumstances may seem small and inconsequential, but for me, at the time, it felt like everything fell into place and happened like it should.
Tender little mercies.
Last night my ward had a Temple trip that I attended. There were so many people there that between the five of us ladies that drove up in my car, two of us made it into one session while the other three had to wait for the next. So, afterward I spent a lot of time sitting and waiting on my four passengers to come down ready to go. After about half and hour of waiting I saw my friend Dallin. He sat down to chat for a bit and found out I was waiting on my friends. He then volunteered to give the girls a ride home if I wanted to go ahead and leave. I had guest coming to my house at 10 and it was about 20 minutes till at this point. I told him I had 20 minutes and should be fine but then while I was sitting there I began to think that if I left now I could go see Monte for a brief moment before I had to meet my friends and I had not seen him at all that day and of course really wanted to. But I felt bad leaving the girls to go find a boy. Dallin then reiterated his previous proposal to give the girls a ride home for me. I took him up on it and left.

I was leaving the parking lot when I saw a car on the side of the road with it's hood up and three people, a young lady, a gentleman, and a very old woman standing near the vehicle. I thought possibly they needed to jump their car or something. As I got closer, instead of just driving by like I normally would do when it's late at night and I'm alone in my car, I rolled down the passenger window and asked them if they needed help. As I was doing this I thought to myself, Why am I doing this...I don't have a cell phone to call for help...I don't have jumper cables...in fact I'm in a rental car I don't even know much about...how can I possibly help them...why am I offering to do so. Then the old woman explained to me that these two had just been in a little accident (at this point I noticed the other car and the bumper laying on the ground) and that she (the old woman) was being given a ride home by the young women in the accident. She went on to say, however, that she had been at the Temple all evening but had forgotten to bring her medicine and that she was feeling faint and really worried about getting home to take her medicine. I told her to hop in and I would give her a ride.

She did so and then told me that she lived in Orem across the street from the Walmart. Oh, I thought to myself, that's a good ways out there from where we were in Provo and there is definitely no way I would be able to see Monte this evening and I would probably be late meeting my friends. But this old lady needed to get home to take her medicine...it was right thing to do...so even if I would not get to see Monte today I was going to drive her home!

We started out towards the Walmart in Orem. She talked to me about her life and about art. She was a really interesting woman. Her grandson was studying art and getting his masters in ceramics. Things were pleasant. At one point there was a lull in the conversation and I slowed down to a stop in a long row of cars at a stoplight nearing Walmart. I looked in front of me and I started laughing. The old woman asked me what was funny. I told her. "I know that car in front of us...that's my boyfriend's car...Go Figure." I then caught Monte's eye when he looked in his rear view mirror and I waved. He smiled and waved back. I continued to follow Monte the rest of the way to Walmart cause apparently that's where he was headed and I was headed just across the street from there. He told me later, he was confused why I was following and because it was dark he did not see the elderly woman in the passenger seat beside me.

So, I took the old woman home and she thanked me profusely and then added..."he probably went to Walmart...you should go fine him...goodluck". We both got a big laugh out of that. And I went on my way. And I decided to turn into the Walmart parking lot, as silly as that sounds, cause it's a big place and there is no way I could find Monte...but low and behold he pulled up to the parking space next to me. I got out. We had a big laugh. I told what had happened and that I had not been stalking him. Haha. He gave me a hug. And then he went to Walmart and I went home to meet my friends.

As I was driving home, I thought to myself how perfectly all that had worked out. I wanted to see Monte and if I had gone straight home I would have missed him but because I did what I was supposed to do I was able to see him anyhow. Everything fell into place.

If Dallin had not offered right then to give the girls a ride home then I would not have been right there when the old lady needed a ride and if I had not followed the prompting I had to stop and offer help right then even though that was totally out of character for me then I would not have been right there at the stoplight when Monte was there and I would not been able to see him.

I felt blessed. And I felt happy for helping someone. And I felt, as sappy as it may sound, that the Lord blessed me for doing what needed to be done and that he had orchestrated the entire events of the evening so that in the end everyone was taken care of. A small train of events. And huge boost of happiness and love. And that's what I wanted to share with you all. Take care my friends.

2 comments:

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

That was so fun to read. It was like a story you'd read in the Ensign or New Era or something like that teaching people to do the right thing b/c it all works out (and it does...eventually).

Mo Daddy said...

I so know what you are talkign about. I have experienced things like that so many times. Those little things that happen seem so insignificant, but everything matters. Iam so happy for you my friend. you deserve the happiness you are experiencing!
I miss you too. :)